Andy Carroll was the hero as Liverpool secured a place in the FA Cup Final and the bragging rights on Merseyside after coming from behind to beat Everton 2-1 at Wembley in a dramatic semi-final.


For the Blues it was a dreadful day for defender Sylvain Distin, whose second half error allowed Luis Suarez to level to scores after Nikica Jelavic had put Everton ahead in the first half following a mistake by Jamie Carragher.


The Reds had the much maligned Carroll to thank for a late winner as he headed home Craig Bellamy's free-kick to send the traveling Kop into raptures as the Toffees' faithful headed for the exit.


Over 60,000 Reds and Blues had descended on London with the blue half facing a desperately disappointing long journey home following defeat on what has been a bumper weekend of sport for the city, with the Grand National at Aintree.


For David Moyes the decade-long trophy drought during his time at Goodison Park continues, while Kenny Dalglish's men have set up a third appearance at Wembley this season and the chance to complete a cup double against either Tottenham or Chelsea on 5th May.


Liverpool slightly edged the opening exchanges with

Jay Spearing shooting over and Martin Skrtel hitting a

shot straight at goalkeeper Tim Howard. For Everton,

full back Leighton Baines sent a free kick just over the

crossbar of Brad Jones' goal.


Liverpool's third-choice goalkeeper acquitted himself

well in only his fourth appearance for the club with

Pepe Reina and Alexander Doni both suspended.


But the Aussie stopper could do nothing about the

opener on 24 minutes. A loose ball on the edge of the

box caused left back for the day Daniel Agger and

Carragher to hesitate with the veteran Scouser's

clearance striking Tim Cahill and setting up Jelavic to

slot home from close range.


Liverpool attempted to respond quickly but could not

force and equaliser before the break with Moyes' men

ahead at the interval.


Dalglish's side emerged much the better in the second

had and should have pulled level just minutes after

the game resumed only for Carroll to somehow head

wide from close range after Stewart Downing's cross

set up the Geordie frontman perfectly.


Liverpool dominated possession but could only

equalise just past the hour when Distin's attempted

pass back to Howard from the right hand side was

short, allowing Suarez to nip in and hit a low shot into

the net with the outside of his boot.


The Reds remained on top with Everton failing to recover from the equaliser. But though Liverpool pressed as the clock ticked down extra time and the possibility of penalties appeared to be on the cards.


But victory for the Anfield men was secured with four minutes to go after substitute Craig Bellamy's free kick from the left hand side was back-headed into the net by Carroll, who wheeled away in ecstatic celebration in front of the Liverpool fans.


Everton could not force a late equaliser, and at the other end Maxi hit the post before Liverpool toasted their first Wembley win over the Blues since the sides last met there almost 23 years ago.


For Everton, there remains only the hope of finishing above their city rivals in the Premier League but that would be somewhat tempered if Liverpool ensure a cup double when they return to Wembley next month.

Liverpool snatch Wembley derby glory

By Hugh O'Connell, Senior Editor

Related websites

More JMU Journalism stories

Homepage TV & Radio Special coverage LSS WoW Factor Picture galleries Liverpool Life News & Features Website team Top 10 Top 10 Blogs Sport Entertainment Shorthand Sue Alumni Meet the staff International & Travel Coursework Fashion

Jelavic grabbed the opener for Everton but Suarez equalised and Carroll got the winner  Pics © Trinity Mirror



carling_cup_final_gerrard_trophy cahill_sunderland3

© Trinity Mirror

Pictures © Trinity Mirror

wem_at140412afasemi-14 wem_at140412afasemi-4

Wembley derby photo special